"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


Thursday, February 05, 2009

Food Mishaps from Chef Reba

OK. Those that really know me, know that I don't like to cook...especially dinner when I am hungry. I got that from my mom, who does admit it as well.

Well, the past week has not been good in our kitchen...

Mishap #1:

In trying to find something to fix for dinner (my dilemma always is that I want something easy and quick, but nutricious for my family), I decided on chicken. We had some frozen chicken breasts, so I decided to cook them in the crockpot for a few hours so they would be tender. A couple hours later, I checked on them and found that they were only partially done, partially raw. I had thought to myself that it probably wasn't a good idea to put frozen meat in the crockpot because now it was probably filled with bacteria from not staying at the same temp. So, I called my mom. She was skeptical about eating them. I called my mother in law, but got no answer, so I called Hubby's grandma. I will never forget what she said..."Well, I don't really want to be the one to tell you to eat it or not, but I wouldn't!" Lesson learned. I quickly scrounged together something else. Ugh.

Mishap#2:

A few nights later, I was supposed to take a meal to a family at church that just had a baby. I was fixing pulled BBQ pork in a large crockpot and then in a small crockpot to take to them. They had been cooking for a couple of hours and I heard a popping noise in the kitchen. I went in there only to find my large crockpot throwing sparks all over the place. I reached over the sparks and unplugged both crockpots. I quickly took the crock pot pan/insert out of the big unit and put it in the oven on low to finish cooking and save the meat. I moved the smaller crockpot to another outlet to finish cooking. Needles to say, I had to throw my large crockpot away. Oh, but it gets better.

I went in an hour or so later and felt the small crockpot...it was not even on. It had sat there for over an hour with no heat. I wanted to cry. The sparking must have blown a fuse, so the other outlet didn't work. I couldn't risk the fact that I was giving a family bad pork, so I had to throw it out. Another bunch of expensive meat literally down the drain. I had to get the family take out.

Mishap #3:

We were out of milk today, so during my trip to Target, I realized they have milk and I wouldn't have to stop anywhere else. I also got some canned veggies for dinner tonight and we came home. I helped Punky into the house along with her blanket, doll, my purse, the target bag, and her school papers and set them all on the washer while we took our coats and shoes off. Punky was EXTREMELY hungry so I immediately set out to make her pbj sandwich...yes, that's right...I left the milk sitting on the washer. It was a good 4 hours before I realized it. It may have been okay to drink, but I am phobic about contaminated food, and just wouldn't take the chance...milk down the drain. I do not want to cook or do any fixing or buying of food for quite some time!!!!!

0 comments:

 

The Smallest Blessings... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates