"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11


Saturday, November 29, 2008

Priorities

I learned a very unexpected lesson on Thanksgiving that I thought I would share...

Every Thanksgiving morning, I venture out into the barren streets to get a newspaper...you know, the one overflowing with the Black Friday ads. I then race back home to look through every single one to see if there is anything I can't live without. This Thursday was no exception.

I went to the nearest gas station, grabbed a paper, and took it up to the register. The cashier was a young Indian man who was very friendly. He saw what I was buying, and then said, "Oh, very heavy paper. Too bad all of those store ads are in there." I said that was why I was buying it, was to look at all of the ads. He said "Oh, I thought you wanted to read this," and pointed to the article on the front page about the attacks that had just happened in India. I said I hadn't heard about that and he said, "Yes, very sad. The Taj Mahal hotel was on fire from terrorists. Very beautiful place. Americans are hostage too." I could tell he was saddened by this news and I immediately felt sorry for him. Here I am wanting to look through ads to see how I can spend my money, and he is worried about his country and the people that are there. I felt very snobby and realized how other people in less fortunate countries probably view Americans.

It really made me think while I was looking through those ads, and I just prayed that God would give me a thankful, content heart. He answered my prayer as I didn't purchase anything on Black Friday...I literally didn't see anything in the ads that I felt I should buy, considering all of the unfortunate people living even in my own town. God has really given me a burden this holiday season to share what I have with those that don't have. I am thankful for it, and hope that I remember to carry it with me all year round, not just at the holidays.

0 comments:

 

The Smallest Blessings... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates